Monday, July 20, 2015

Merin Joseph-Nivin Pauly Photo Controversy


Kerala Assistant Commissioner of Police Merin Joseph has come under severe criticism after she posted a picture with popular southern actor Nivin Pauly on Facebook. As soon as Joseph posted the image on Sunday, it went viral with thousands of 'likes'.

The photograph she uploaded on the Facebook, which was shot during an event in Kochi by Congress MLA Hibi Eden on her request, went viral and many media reports alleged that the officer violated the protocol. Some even found fault with her for uploading the photo on social media during the event.

Merin Joseph  Facebook status regarding the issue: “Why didn't I react so far to the so-called controversy caused over my photo with Mr. Nivin Pauly at the MLA function in Ernakulam to felicitate students? Because I don't react to non-issues. And for those who still need clarification, I am pointing out that the pic was taken by MLA Hibi Eden after securing his consent and that too, during a lighter moment of laughter over a shared joke.

I don't know why some dubious, unheard-of news channel, which doesn't have the slightest idea of journalistic ethics, is trying to define protocols for officers. For the information of anybody who cares about this cheap sensationalizing, I state that I was a guest at the function, had no "official duties", and it was only in the long gap that occurred while the organizers got the stage ready for prize distribution that all this happened. I had already finished reading out the oath (which was the only task entrusted to me). When such a gap is there, the Home Minister has already left the venue and the other guests on the stage have moved aside, what am I as a guest with no other duties supposed to do? Jump off the stage? Stand in attention saluting the audience?? Or go sit in an available chair in the corner of the stage and keep myself occupied?

For those who think that I was neglecting some important duty or doing something unbecoming, I merely ask which law states that one can't upload a photo when idly passing time?? I didn't disrupt the arrangements or cause any inconvenience except perhaps catch the attention of some reporter who didn't have any worthwhile work. The media channels which pander to such cheapness and voyeurism, have my pity. I pray such desperate means don't become the only means for them to earn their livelihood.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

hai friends..welcome